- Preparation time: 30 min
- Cooking time: 10 min
- In the fridge: 1 h
- Output: 45 cookies, approximately
INGREDIENTS FOR SUGAR COOKIES
- 2 1/2 cups (625 ml) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup (250 ml) sugar
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
INGREDIENTS FOR ROYAL ICING
- 1 egg white
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) icing sugar
- Food coloring, liquid or gel
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 190 °C (375 °F). Lining one to two baking sheets with parchment paper. You’ll do about four batches (your sheet filled with cookies x 4 in the oven).
- In a bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt. Set the bowl aside.
- In another bowl, cream the butter with the sugar and vanilla using an electric mixer for about 3 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, and continue beating until smooth. At low speed or with a wooden spoon, combine with the dry ingredients that you have put aside.
- With your hands, shape the dough into two discs. Cover them with plastic wrap and put them in the refrigerator for about 1 hour.
- On a floured work surface, roll out the dough to about 3 to 5-mm (1/8 to ¼-inch) thick. Cut out cookies, using a cookie cutter of your choice. Spread the cookies of the same size on the same sheet, because the cooking time may vary. Shop Ricardo cookie tools here >
- Bake, one sheet at a time, from 8 to 10 minutes or until the edges are lightly golden brown. Let them cool.
- In a bowl, gently beat the egg whites and icing sugar with an electric mixer for about 2 minutes or until it forms soft peaks. You can color the icing the color of your choice.
- Using a pastry bag fitted with a small plain tip, decorate your cookies.