Ricardo’s Oven-baked Doughnuts
Preparation time: 20 min
Cooking time: 10 min
Output: 12 doughnuts
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. (5 ml) baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. (1 ml) baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. (1 ml) salt
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) sugar
- 2 tbsp. (30 ml) canola oil
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) buttermilk
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F). Generously butter the 12 cavities of a doughnut pan.
- In a bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg and sugar until the mixture is frothy, about 2 minutes. Add oil and mix. Add dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk and mix until the dough is smooth.
- Use a pastry bag fitted with a plain tip to divide dough into mould cavities. Bake for 10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the dough comes out clean. Unmould by inverting doughnuts onto parchment paper or a clean cloth. Let cool.
To make chocolate doughnuts, add 30 ml (2 tbsp.) of cocoa to the dough at the same time as the dry ingredients.
To make chocolate icing, place 115 g (4 oz) of dark chocolate in a bowl. In a small saucepan, bring 125 ml (½ cup) of 35% cream to a boil. Pour the boiling cream over the chocolate. Let stand for 2 minutes. Stir the ganache with a whisk until smooth. Dip doughnuts in the ganache.
If you want maple icing, spread softened maple butter on one side of each doughnut. For 12 doughnuts, you will need 125 ml (½ cup) of maple butter.